Longing for Peace

This post was originally published on December 23, 2019.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Is 9:6)

Peace is elusive. With the invention of the smartphone, we are constantly connected and bombarded by dings, rings, and chimes. Instead of finding activities to engage our minds, we pull out our phones when we’re bored and pass the time on mindless games or scrolling through social media. We have email on our phones, so even when we’re away from the office, we’re still available and always on call. “Downtime” isn’t a word that’s even in our vocabulary anymore. Continue reading “Longing for Peace”

Rediscovering Lost Connections

“Whoever isolates himself seeks his own desire; he breaks out against all sound judgment.” (Prov. 18:1)

In the last two weeks, I’ve attended two events where I sold my devotionals. These events were the first of their kind I’ve gone to in almost two years. The truth is, before the pandemic hit, I had decided not to attend these types of events. They are time consuming, and I struggle with the in-person sales part. But during the pandemic, my book sales tanked (not that they were that great to begin with, but I went from a few to almost none overnight). And I realized that in-person events were more beneficial than I realized for an unknown author like me. Continue reading “Rediscovering Lost Connections”

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Do everything without grumbling or arguing. (Phil. 2:14)

I scurried into my office and pushed the door shut behind me. In my hurry, I didn’t make sure it caught. There was a slight gap between the door and the frame—just wide enough for a curious Yorkie to stick her nose through. As I connected to the Zoom meeting, I heard snuffling, and the door swung open as Lilly ambled in.

She walked in a circle, ran to the door, and skidded to a stopped. She turned and stared at me, trying to communicate telepathically. I tried to focus on the discussion on the screen, but Lilly’s pacing distracted me. Suddenly, I realized the problem—she had gotten in, but the door wasn’t open wide enough for her to get out.

I opened the door, and she scampered out without another glance. She had gotten what she wanted—to be in the same room with me—but once she got it, she decided she would rather be in the room she had just vacated. Continue reading “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”

Create: My Word for 2021

“He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers—all of them skilled workers and designers” (Ex 35:35).

I haven’t made New Year’s resolutions in a long time. Instead, I choose a word for the year. I use this word to focus on an area of my life where I believe the Lord wants to make changes or have me grow. I’ve chosen words such as “trust,” “focus,” “compassion,” and “bold.” Last year, my word was “renew.” As 2020 began, I felt burned out. I had no idea how much I would need renewal as the year (and the pandemic) wore on.

This year, God revealed my word to me more slowly than usual. I often have my word for the year in November, or the first week of January at the latest. We were halfway through January before I felt comfortable with the word that kept coming to mind: “create.” Continue reading “Create: My Word for 2021”

2020: What I Lost

Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails (Prov 19:21).

In last week’s blog post, I wrote about the things I gained and the things that worked for me in 2020. This week, I’m looking at what I lost or what didn’t work. When I know what didn’t work, I can take steps to make changes.

Honestly, 2020 was full of losses—for some more than others. It would be easy to focus on all the bad things, especially since 2021 seems as if it’s just a continuation of the craziness of last year.

But my purpose is not to wallow in negativity. Instead, I want to acknowledge what was lost  so that I can grieve it and move on (because you can’t grieve what you don’t recognize). After that,  I can make changes to the things I can control and move on. Continue reading “2020: What I Lost”